[Qt-interest] What does '-developer-build' actually do?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Apr 12 11:11:05 CEST 2010

Em Segunda-feira 12 Abril 2010, às 10:06:28, Kustaa Nyholm escreveu:
> Hi
>
> in building Qt lighthouse I came across the configure switch
>
> -developer-build

That option is almost equivalent to:

	-debug -prefix $PWD -DQT_INTERNAL_BUILD

So it sets the default to debug mode build, it configures the prefix for the
current directory (that is, no need for make install) and it also adds one
#define that, in turn, causes some more symbols to be exported.

It also turns on an extra qconfig option, which enables extra tests (that is,
all the unit tests that require private symbols).

> Do I still have to 'make install' it?

No.

> Can I use '-prefix' with it?

Yes, you can, *after* this switch.

> Should I use '-prefix' with it?

It's your choice. We don't use it for our own development.

> If I don't install it how are my Qt programs supposed to find
> the Qt libraries?

The same way as before. Nothing changes.

The difference is that a "non-install" build means the build is the
installation. Just set the variables to the build.

> And shell find my tools?

Set PATH to the bin directory in the build dir.

> configure/make costing 4 hours / try does not really encourage me to
> experiment...

Your options are:
1) get a faster computer
2) get a build farm (use your co-workers' machines for that)
3) don't build the entirety of Qt

If you just want to experiment, start with just the src subdir. You may also
want to disable webkit, since that cuts in half the time required to build
src.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358