[Qt-interest] Qt for the iPad?

nobodyhere pem.accounts.spam at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 06:22:55 CEST 2010

> The other major difference is that Apple isn't trying to push Carbon/etc as a Platform-neutral API and then only support it on their own native platforms, where as Microsoft pushes .Net/C# as a platform neutral API but only supports it on Windows and then gives pseudo-support to Novell/Mono for Linux/Mac/Unix/etc.

There is a categorical distinction.  Apple is *banning* Adobe Flash (and possibly Qt and/or Mono?) from their OS.  Is Microsoft banning some API from Windows?  Has Microsoft banned any APIs from Windows 7 (or Windows Mobile 7)?

> So yes - Apple isn't being very friendly, but they're well within their rights to do so; and they are not interfering in the market place either.

I didn't mean it as an argument for government regulation.  Although Microsoft has been attacked by the European Union over less (but then again, the EU is attacking all US technology companies - because who will stop them from stealing money from US companies?).  I meant it as an argument for developers and tech-savy consumers to consider Microsoft better than Apple - with respect to this specific issue.

If you are a hardcore openness nut...  Then it is fine if you want to say "Microsoft is the devil".  But if you do, then please also say - "but Apple is worse than the devil".

Oh, and you might want to add on top of that, that "Google is watching you" O:-)

> Microsoft provides the OS, but not the hardware

That is exactly right - Microsoft's Operating System strategy is noticeably more open (and supportive of an open market, for both hardware and software) than Apple's system.  As a general rule, I think it's great that both strategies to exist - and I am glad to use plenty of hardware and software from both Microsoft and Apple.

But two things I complain about.  One, I think Mac x86 limitation of hardware choices goes too far in terms of being closed.  Their choices are very limited.  Most of them use the same chipsets, they are all the same Intel processors (mostly Core 2 Duo), and only Mac Pro and iMac have a decent (discrete) GPU option (Mac Pro and iMac are both oversized).

Two, if they ban an API that follows whatever Cocoa Touch UI guidelines (like MonoTouch, or Qt?) - then I think they may have gone too far...  Or, at least, I think it's viable for people to notice that Google and Microsoft aren't doing that.  And if I had actually written a MonoTouch app, and then seen MonoTouch get retroactively banned - well that would be really horrible!  In fact, Apple has done such retroactive banning, such as retroactively making approved apps remove access to the DCIM central folder.

It's really horrible to think that you could spend all this time writing something, and then they retroactively ban it.  Even if they just block it the first time you submit it, for some unexpected reason that is impossible to fix - then you could really have gotten screwed.

PS: I hope my rhetoric doesn't sound close-minded or adversarial; thank you for the info / discussion