[Qt-interest] what is QML all about?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at maps-technology.com
Wed Apr 14 23:08:16 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 21:57:17 Stephen Chu wrote:
> In article <4BC4F052.2010405 at endurancetech.co.uk>,
>
>  Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkinson at endurancetech.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 13/04/2010 18:08, Jason H wrote:
> > > It is about create rich (sexy) user interfaces without conventional
> > > buttons. It is about using model-view, it is about creating UIs that
> > > aren't buttons, radios and sliders.
> >
> > On the Desktop, how is this helpful for users?
> >
> > Do QML-based GUIs tie into the accessibility APIs on operating systems
> > that support such things, for text to speech systems and the like?
>
> I think QML, like most new development in Qt, is more focused on mobile
> apps than desktop.
>
> Nokia owns Qt/Trolltech and they didn't buy it for charity. :)

But what many people seem to be missing is that it is not an either/or
situation between QML/QWidget applications. You can mix and match as you see
fit. That is you can have a typical desktop QWidget based application that
contains components that use QML for some extra bling. It is similar to how
you can have mixed desktop/web applications by using QWebView within an
application. QML is another tool in your arsenal.

Sean