[Qt-interest] what is QML all about?

Stephen Chu stephen at ju-ju.com
Wed Apr 14 23:31:04 CEST 2010

In article <201004142208.16841.sean.harmer at maps-technology.com>,
 Sean Harmer <sean.harmer at maps-technology.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 21:57:17 Stephen Chu wrote:
> > In article <4BC4F052.2010405 at endurancetech.co.uk>,
> >
> >  Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkinson at endurancetech.co.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > On the Desktop, how is this helpful for users?
> > >
> > > Do QML-based GUIs tie into the accessibility APIs on operating systems
> > > that support such things, for text to speech systems and the like?
> >
> > I think QML, like most new development in Qt, is more focused on mobile
> > apps than desktop.
> >
> > Nokia owns Qt/Trolltech and they didn't buy it for charity. :)
>
> But what many people seem to be missing is that it is not an either/or
> situation between QML/QWidget applications. You can mix and match as you see
> fit. That is you can have a typical desktop QWidget based application that
> contains components that use QML for some extra bling. It is similar to how
> you can have mixed desktop/web applications by using QWebView within an
> application. QML is another tool in your arsenal.
>
> Sean

I didn't say it's an either/or situation. But it's an issue of how
limited resource is allocated. And the general direction the project is
taking.

I don't mind having a great non-widget UI framework. I don't need one,
but there's a high chance I will someday. But before devoting most of
the resources into the new non-standard UI thing, why not making the
existing standard, desktop widget UI work better?

My point is, as a desktop SDK, Qt is almost there! Don't turn around and
chase mobile right before the finish line. Please...

I know there's never a finish line in software developing. But you know
what I mean.

--
Stephen Chu