[Qt-interest] The C++ language committee

Scott Aron Bloom Scott.Bloom at onshorecs.com
Fri Apr 16 17:25:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 01:46:59PM +0200, Eirik Ulvik wrote:
> Den 16.04.2010 12:59, skrev Mihail Naydenov:
[...]
> > We all the story - C++0x and its features.
> >
> > Two things however draw my attention:
> >
> > First he mentions Qt, but as a negative example, he even added
(IIRC)
> > "at least they did not come up with a proprietary language like some
> > others" sighting Apple .
[...]

I call bullshit. Objective-C and C++ were developed concurrently and
independently. C++ was C with the Simula concept of OO added. ObjC was C
with the Smalltalk concept of OO added. While AT&T commercialized
Stroustrup's invention, Tom Love and Brad Cox formed their own company
commercialize ObjC. C++ saw its first commercial release in 1985, and
ObjC
saw it first publication in 1986. All of this is from the languages'
respective Wikipedia pages.

Apple didn't come up with ObjC (and neither did NeXT, which licensed it
from Cox & Love's company). Also, C++ was a proprietary commercial
product
from AT&T at first. These days, C++ has an international standard and
ObjC
has a free reference implementation (i.e. GCC). Stroustrup doesn't have
leg to stand on either implying that ObjC was some latecomer reaction to
C++ or that it's Apple's proprietary language.
While I agree with your calling BS :)  Objective C is no Johnny come
lately...

With seeing a transcript or video, its hard to know what the actual
"others" he was talking about...

If I was looking around, and seeing the only proprietary new language..
Im thinking C# not Objective-C...

Scott