[Qt-interest] Is Qt the best choice for cross-platform desktop GUI applications? Mac OS X (Cocoa, Aqua)? KDE, GNOME, Windows 7

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at nokia.com
Mon Apr 19 13:26:08 CEST 2010

Den 14.04.2010 15:56, skrev ext Nikos Chantziaras:
> Here is a screenshot (attached) of the same text rendered with a native
> Cocoa application (top) and my Qt application (bottom), both using the
> Helvetica font at 16pt.  Notice the wrong spaces between character in
> the Qt app, for example in the words "lost", "permeated", and many
> others.  In the native app, the characters are evenly spaced, while in
> Qt they are not.

Hi,

First of all, are you using Carbon for your Qt build? And are you using
Qt version 4.6.x or lower? If so, this is probably the problem you are
seeing:

      http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-5529

The problem is that Qt used device metrics for fonts on Carbon, to work
around a bug in QtWebKit. Both bugs have been fixed for Qt 4.7.0. To
work around the problem in Qt 4.6.x and lower, you can build with Cocoa
as the graphics backend instead. This should look identical to your
Cocoa application.

Hope this helps!

best regards,
Eskil