[Qt-interest] QTimer glitching/pausing on Windows 4.6.2 -- anyone else seen this?

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Thu Jul 1 16:43:08 CEST 2010

My app has developed a problem which it never used to have (with 4.4.3). I'm
trying to track down the cause and just wondering if anyone else has seen
the same issue in 4.6.2 -- I couldn't find it in the bug tracker. I'm seeing
this on Windows.

I have a number of UI panes which each run their own 50ms animation timer
(QTimer) which causes the UI to get redrawn (animates status information
etc. file playback positions etc). My app can potentially run a lot of these
timers, although I'm seeing the problem with less than 10 of them at the
moment.

Since I switched to 4.6.2 I have noticed that the animations sometimes pause
(for about a second) at random points (about every 3-4 seconds). This
problem goes away if I continuously move the mouse (but comes back if I stop
moving the mouse). It isn't a CPU load issue. This happens even when the
system has <20% load. So it seems like the timer signals or events are
intermittently stopping being sent for some reason.

I seem to be able to make this start happening if I temporarily overload the
CPU.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Has the implementation of QTimer significantly changed?

Thanks

Ross.