[Qt-interest] QT windows visual studio 2008 version

David Ching dc at remove-this.dcsoft.com
Sun Jul 4 17:21:59 CEST 2010

"Constantin Makshin" <cmakshin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:201007031946.36701.cmakshin at gmail.com...
> Isn't it better to ask Microsoft about their tendency to create problems
> for 3rd-party developers? DLL hell, manifest hell, overcomplicated file
> formats, "wonderful" technologies incompatible with anything else, etc..
> :)

Every time MS releases a Visual Studio service pack affecting
redistributables, it requires people to rebuild all their modules to be
compatible, including Qt.  Qt has the same requirement every time they
release a new "point version", e.g. 4.5 is not compatible with 4.4.  So
everyone requires rebuilding the world, eventually.  We may think MS does it
too often, but we should have a strategy to deal with that effectively
anyway.

It is fair to say Qt does *not* have a very good strategy for dealing with
this.  They did deal with it somewhat successfully with VS2005, as they had
a separate build for SP1, but they did not carry that strategy forward to VS
2008, they did not support the ATL Redistriutable Update releases from last
summer in either VS 2005 or VS 2008, and I don't think they have released
anything for VS 2010.  Speaking of which, VS 2010 has been out for some
months now, and Qt calls that a Tier 2 platform, and even Windows 7 a Tier 2
platform.

So we may call MS wrong-headed for causing some problems, but Qt is equally
wrong-headed for their slow support of Windows.

-- David