[Qt-interest] Will QImage/QPixmap support Animated GIF and wbmp?

Oliver.Knoll at comit.ch Oliver.Knoll at comit.ch
Fri Jul 9 11:54:22 CEST 2010

Bu, Long wrote on Friday, July 09, 2010 9:50 AM:

> WBMP is defined in the WAP.

In the "World Association of Photographers" manual? Or in the "Wyoming Architecture Professionals" manual? Or in the "We Are Professionals" manual? Sorry, but I checked all those manuals, but I did not find any reference to the image format "WBMP" ;)

Okay, seriously now...

(Oh and yes, I know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Application_Protocol_Bitmap_Format ;)

> Since it's still picture.

As in "It is still a picture?" Or "It is a still picture"?

Okay, now I am really serious... ;)

> So I guess I can write a plug-in in
> src/plugins/imageformats/. Correct me if I am wrong.

A quick look at http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qimagereader.html#supportedImageFormats reveals that WBMP indeed cannot be read (at the same time we note that you have to configure Qt with the -qt-gif switch for GIF support).

But yes, implementing a http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qimageioplugin.html should be pretty easy for WBMP. http://www.imagemagick.org/ for example supports WBMP, but "Support for uncompressed monochrome only" (so this implies that there must also be a compressed flavour of that format).

Also a quick google research showed that http://tea-editor.sourceforge.net/ (some text editor, apparently based on Qt 4.4) supports WBMP: "TEA features are: ... Built-in image viewer (PNG, JPEG, GIF, *WBMP*, BMP, SVG, TIFF, TGA, etc.)"

Cheers, Oliver
--
Oliver Knoll
Dipl. Informatik-Ing. ETH