[Qt-interest] remove signature from mailing list posts

Constantin Makshin cmakshin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 13:06:42 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 11:31:47 Andre Somers wrote:
> On 10-7-2010 15:20, Constantin Makshin wrote:
> > IMHO, you should try to configure your email client (if that's possible, of course). Different people/companies may use different ways of adding their signatures (any number of dashes, underscores, dots, etc.) and I think there's no reliable way to distinguish signatures from intentionally emphasized parts like code samples.
> >
> > By the way, I didn't remove your signature, my email client did that when I hit the "reply" button. So it depends on software you use. ;)
> >
> Doesn't that indicate that there *is* an at least sort-of-reliable way
> to remove signatures? If your email program is capable of doing that,
> then so should a piece of mailing list software, right? I was under the
> impression that two dashes followed by a space and a newline is at least
> the de-facto standard for the beginning of a signature (not sure about
> if it is a de-jure standard as well).
Well, the most reliable way to remove signatures is to remove them *before* sending a message (manually, automatically or by configuring the email client not to include the signature at all) , not *after*. :)

> > On Saturday 10 July 2010 14:44:26 Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
> >
> >> At times I forget to delete my signature when posting. Apologies for that.
> >> Why doesnt this mailing list crop content (remove text after --)? Bugzilla
> >> supports that.
> >>
> Anyway, I don't see why a mailing list should strip signatures. If you
> don't think a signature should appear in a mailinglist, then don't use
> it, at least not in messages for that list. Advanced mail clients can be
> configured with different signatures or message templates for different
> goals, so if your current client does not support features like that,
> upgrade to a client that does. Or simply get rid of that annoying,
> demanding signature of yours completely.
I agree and not only because there's no way to reliably distinguish signatures from other emphasized parts of message, but also because some people/companies may intentionally use signatures with harmless disclaimers like "whatever is said in this message is only my thought and does not express opinion of the company or other people".