[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Oct 4 16:16:42 CEST 2010

Op Ma, 4 oktober, 2010 3:41 pm, schreef BRM:
> First, the better place to be asking these questions is the FSF, not the
> Qt-Interests list.
>
> IANAL, anything below is not authoritative; seek legal counsel for an
> authoritative answer.
> Legal counsel should consult with the FSF for authoritative answers with
> respect
> to interpretation and intention beyond what is said in Copyright law.

Just out of curiosity: why consult with FSF? I mean: AFAIK, they only
create the text of the licences, but they don't grand any rights under
those licences. Also, they are not a government that passes laws. In the
end, I think, FSF is not a party at all. The licence is a contract between
the one giving the licence and the one getting it, under the jurisdiction
that is applicable to that transaction. I don't see how the FSF fits in
that picture. The fact that the contract is a standard one drafted by the
FSF does not make FSF a party in the contract, nor does it make their
interpretation of it authorative, does it?But, IANAL either, so please
enlighten me.

André