[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 4 16:39:16 CEST 2010

Em Segunda-feira 04 Outubro 2010, às 16:16:42, Andre Somers escreveu:
> Op Ma, 4 oktober, 2010 3:41 pm, schreef BRM:
> > First, the better place to be asking these questions is the FSF, not the
> > Qt-Interests list.
> >
> > IANAL, anything below is not authoritative; seek legal counsel for an
> > authoritative answer.
> > Legal counsel should consult with the FSF for authoritative answers with
> > respect
> > to interpretation and intention beyond what is said in Copyright law.
>
> Just out of curiosity: why consult with FSF? I mean: AFAIK, they only
> create the text of the licences, but they don't grand any rights under
> those licences. Also, they are not a government that passes laws. In the
> end, I think, FSF is not a party at all. The licence is a contract between
> the one giving the licence and the one getting it, under the jurisdiction
> that is applicable to that transaction. I don't see how the FSF fits in
> that picture. The fact that the contract is a standard one drafted by the
> FSF does not make FSF a party in the contract, nor does it make their
> interpretation of it authorative, does it?But, IANAL either, so please
> enlighten me.

That is true.

However, they are an interested 3rd-party and in some legal systems they could
be called upon or be allowed to offer expert advice, so their opinion does
count.

They have a vision and they want their license to be interpreted in such a way
that brings us closer to those objectives.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010