[Qt-interest] LGPL compliance poll

Kustaa Nyholm Kustaa.Nyholm at planmeca.com
Mon Oct 4 16:28:49 CEST 2010

> First, the better place to be asking these questions is the FSF, not the
> Qt-Interests list.

Yeah, but let us not take this discussion too seriously, I'm just wagging my
jaw, so this place is as good as any ;-)

> Legal counsel should consult with the FSF for authoritative answers with
> respect to interpretation and intention beyond what is said in Copyright law.

Well, FSF is not a party to many (most) GPL licenses, the license is between
the licensor and licensee and while FSF can put their spin on what they
think GPL means, it is really up to the licensor (and maybe court) to
interpret the license.

> >> Wikipedia, the absolute truth ;-)  , says:
>
> Wikipedia, and any website you read or any mailing list you communicate with,
> is
> not an authoritative source. Please seek legal counsel for an authoritative
> source.

Hope you detected the (self) sarcasm in my ref to wiki.

> With respect to the GPL, it has specific wording in there that specifies (i)
> who
> the licensee,

Not in version 2.

> (ii) the licensor

Version 2 mentions word licensor once and versio 3 mentions it four times
but no clear definitions are given.

> and (iii) that it kicks in only on distribution; that if you do not
> distribute then it does not apply.

Yeah, but not helpful as it still all depends on what it means to
'distribute' or 'convey' and what or who the licensee is.

> The licensee is anyone receiving a distributed copy of the GPL/LGPL software -
> application or library.

All this is very circular and not very helpful to disentangle the meaning.

> Please see the definitions section of the GPL - section 0 for GPLv3, which
> states per "Licensee":
>
> Each licensee is addressed as ³you².  ³Licensees² and ³recipients² may be
> individuals or organizations.

Not what I would call a clear definition and this text is only in v2.

>The licensor is anyone distributing the GPL/LPGL software - application or
>library.

Hardly, if I just distribute GPL code I'm no licensing it and I do not
become licensor.

br Kusti