[Qt-interest] Minimal Qt/X11 compile

Konrad Rosenbaum konrad at silmor.de
Wed Oct 6 08:34:57 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 06 October 2010, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 5. October 2010 21.30.06 Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
[...] Thiago, thanks for the clarifications.

> > -reduce-relocations ..... Reduce relocations in the libraries
> >
> > may reduce the time to start an app, may also make it a bit less stable
> > (it's experimental)
>
> Not experimental, highly recommended, should be default.

Then please correct the configure script ;-)

> > -no-separate-debug-info . Do not store debug information in a separate
> > file.
> >
> > the inverse of a saver if you build with debug info - the shared object
> > files become MUCH bigger; in -release mode you lose the ability to
> > debug Qt
>
> This is the inverse of the Qt 4.2-4.6 behaviour: the debug information is
> no longer split out of the .so file by default. It simply remains where
> it is.

Hmm. Strange, on my system it was split out in Qt 4.7.0. I used the
defaults.

> If you don't want it, you'll have to strip the binaries.

That is of course good advice anyway. Usually there is no need for any debug
info in the final release binaries.

> There's no loss
> of functionality even in the debugger -- in fact, it may retain some,
> since there are conditions when the separate debug info was wrong.

Under which conditions can this happen? As far as I know the library has the
path-name of the separate debug info built in and the separate file contains
exactly the same info that would have been in a different section of the
same library file.

The only conditions I can think of would involve some fancy re-building and
copying, so that you have multiple different versions of the same libs in
unexpected places. Not exactly a clean installation.

	Konrad