[Qt-interest] Minimal Qt/X11 compile

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 11:03:12 CEST 2010

Em Quarta-feira 06 Outubro 2010, às 08:34:57, Konrad Rosenbaum escreveu:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2010, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Tuesday 5. October 2010 21.30.06 Konrad Rosenbaum wrote:
> [...] Thiago, thanks for the clarifications.
>
> > > -reduce-relocations ..... Reduce relocations in the libraries
> > >
> > > may reduce the time to start an app, may also make it a bit less stable
> > > (it's experimental)
> >
> > Not experimental, highly recommended, should be default.
>
> Then please correct the configure script ;-)

I will.

> > > -no-separate-debug-info . Do not store debug information in a separate
> > > file.
> > >
> > > the inverse of a saver if you build with debug info - the shared object
> > > files become MUCH bigger; in -release mode you lose the ability to
> > > debug Qt
> >
> > This is the inverse of the Qt 4.2-4.6 behaviour: the debug information is
> > no longer split out of the .so file by default. It simply remains where
> > it is.
>
> Hmm. Strange, on my system it was split out in Qt 4.7.0. I used the
> defaults.

If you were using Git, you may be fooled by having older .debug files from
older builds.

Unless something has changed again and it's no longer the default.

> > If you don't want it, you'll have to strip the binaries.
>
> That is of course good advice anyway. Usually there is no need for any
> debug info in the final release binaries.

Indeed. But you should make available that debugging info, even if only to
yourself, to debug crashes coming from your customers.

> > There's no loss
> > of functionality even in the debugger -- in fact, it may retain some,
> > since there are conditions when the separate debug info was wrong.
>
> Under which conditions can this happen? As far as I know the library has
> the path-name of the separate debug info built in and the separate file
> contains exactly the same info that would have been in a different section
> of the same library file.

I am not certain of the details. Searching the Git commits that changed the
default and following the links to the JIRA tasks related should reveal more.

Something to do with checksums.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2010  -  Munich Oct 11-13  -  San Francisco Nov 1-3
For more information and to register: http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2010