[Qt-interest] QT programmer : Interview + portfolio

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Oct 18 10:15:47 CEST 2010

Op Ma, 18 oktober, 2010 9:59 am, schreef Sarvesh Saran:
> Hi all,
>
> I will be attending my first QT interview since I began programming in QT
> back in 2007.
>
> I was wondering if it is a good idea to take snapshots of the User
> Interfaces that I have developed ( create a portfolio like a web designer
> might do) to show it to the interview panel?
>
> Would that help or will it simply raise more questions?  I have attended
> C++ interview before and I'm quite comfortable with those..I have no idea
> what to expect from a QT interview though.

I guess that would depend on what kind of company and function you're
applying for. Showing of screenshots would not mean much to me,
personally. I'd rather see them work or see how you created them. Anyone
can create something good looking using Designer. The trick is to make it
work well and integrate nicely into your application...

But, I guess it all depends on what you will be expected to do. If your
main function will be designing new interfaces, sure, go ahead and show
what you can do there. If the work will be less ui related, then perhaps
you should think of other things to show off. Think of a piece of code you
wrote with Qt that you're particularry proud of, and perhaps bring a
(crusial) part of the listing. I know that *I* would ask to see some code
from someone to hire as a programmer. Still, I am not the one in your
interview panel...

André