[Qt-interest] QT programmer : Interview + portfolio

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 15:35:30 CEST 2010

----- Original Message ----

> From: Tim Dewhirst <tim at bugless.co.uk>
> On 18/10/2010 08:59, Sarvesh Saran wrote:
> > I will be  attending my first QT interview since I began programming in
> > QT back in  2007.
> > I was wondering if it is a good idea to take snapshots of  the User
> > Interfaces that I have developed ( create a portfolio like a  web
> > designer might do) to show it to the interview  panel?
> > Would that help or will it simply raise more questions? I  have attended
> > C++ interview before and I’m quite comfortable with  those..I have no
> > idea what to expect from a QT interview  though.
> Snapshots of user  interfaces could be good as long as you can clearly
> explain how each was  built, if there were any interesting or unusual
> aspects and how you tackled  those. Even better would be allowing the
> portfolio examples to be downloaded  so that the interviewers can try
> your software out.

While I haven't done the panel thing, I do heavily suggest putting together a
little professional website centered around your resume, and include some
downloadable code projects - zip files, tarballs, etc. - for people.
You can provide the URL as part of your resume. I was quite impressed when my
current position hired me that they had looked over it and reviewed the code. So
it tells you something about them too if you do find out during the interview.
(I wouldn't expect someone that is not taking you serious to have looked at such
a website or over the code.)

This also gives you an avenue to say something more about yourself than what
will fit on your resume.

But the key is that it must be a professional website, not something thrown
together in Front Page, or via a web-host's web-page builder.

Ben