[Qt-interest] Qt 4.8 - Desktop Multimedia support?

michael.goddard at nokia.com michael.goddard at nokia.com
Fri Feb 25 01:20:41 CET 2011

Hello,

> Ignore the QtMobility title and just go with it. It has what you want.
> I don't think it was named well, but the effort and title represents
> the capabilities they needed to add to Qt to target phones, without
> including in Qt proper. The multimedia part should be in Qt proper, but
> many services are desktop-able. In fact, only bearer management is a
> "mobile exclusive" thing, but it can have usage on desktop as well...

Yes, as Jason says you should use the "mobility" multimedia API:
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.1.0/multimedia.html

Desktop multimedia support will be part of the Qt SDK as well, including QML elements, so it will be a lot easier to use (it wasn't packaged for desktops in the previous SDKs unfortunately, since most other QtMobility modules weren't really useful on the desktop).  You can try building it yourself if you like (try "configure -modules multimedia" in the QtMobility sources).

At some point in the modularization plan the multimedia code will move out of Qt and QtMobility and it will be a lot clearer at that point :)

Cheers,
MichaelG