[Qt-qml] Any tips or tricks to help with long app startup times?

Pelle Johnsen pelle.johnsen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 21:39:40 CEST 2011

Hi again,

You are right in that you don't need to specify async for network images
(sorry for not realizing that). In our tests we however found that it was
not loading the image data itself that was taking time, but creating the
QPixmaps, and because of QPixmap's limitation that can only be done in the
main ui thread - which then blocks the whole ui :( I don't know if there has
been improvements to this in 4.8, but it is a fundamental issue that QML
Image items use QPixmap, and these can ONLY be created in the main ui
thread.

I would guess QtQuick 2.0 would remedy this by not using QPixmaps, but
OpenGL textures instead for QML Image.

 -Pelle