[QtonPi] Recommendations for getting productive using Qt5 on Raspberry Pi

Chris Griffiths cg6674 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:57:39 CEST 2012

Jonathan,

This page is your best start: http://qt-project.org/wiki/RaspberryPi
It details cross compiling QT5 for the Raspberry pi.

If you're new to cross compiling the overall process is:
1) Save a copy of the Raspberry Pi ARM file system to a folder on your
desktop. (will need some links corrected)
2) Obtain the correct toolchain - thats a compiler, linker, libraries etc
required to produce an ARM executable
3) Download the QT5 source for the modules you need
4) Build with a statement like the following:

   1. $ cd <qtbase>
   2. $ ./configure -prefix <your prefix> -release \
   3.   -device linux-rasp-pi-g++ -make libs \
   4.   -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=<your toolchain path>/bin/arm-none-
   linux-gnueabi-
   5.   -sysroot <your sysroot path>
   6. $ make install

Where:
  -sysroot = The raspberry Pi filesystem root folder
  -prefix = the location the build components will be placed.

Note: The build will be spit between your desktop filesystem and the
raspberry pi filesystem. Qmake and other required build binaries will be
placed in -prefix folder in your desktop filesystem. The ARM build of QT
will be put in <sysroot>/<prefix>.
You need to run make install with an account which has permissions to both
of these locations.

5) After QT is built copy <sysroot>/<prefix> to your Raspberry Pi.
6) To cross compile your own project just make sure you use the qmake at
<prefix>/bin/qmake. The cross compile environment will then be used
automatically.

There is far more required detail on the wiki, but I hope this overview of
the process helps.

Chris