[QtonPi] How to build "native" qmake? Use "cross-compiled" version to build "native" of qmake?

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Mon Aug 27 14:32:07 CEST 2012

> My assumption is that I can use the cross "qtbase tools" (x86) to build a
> new set of "qtbase tools" (arm). I also assume that I could build the
> qtbase straight on the raspberry pi but that should take much longer.

Yes, that is also how I find the system reasonable in theory.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the practice. Right now, it seems
to be needed to build qtbase on the board to get qmake running in there.
This could be packaged nicely, and then you should just install the
(snapshot) package. I have not had this problem for Harmattan while using
scratchbox because in that case, I already build the qtbase for Harmattan
including the tools like moc, qmake, and so forth.

At meego times, we also used a chroot environment where the build took
place directly for an emulated arm environment. I usually prefer those
environments, but I have not discovered the opportunity for those in case
the raspberry pi (arm v6). Perhaps, it would be worthwhile.

Laszlo