[QtonPi] QtonPi SW stack

Stuart Marsden stuartmarsden at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:56:57 CET 2012

Rajiv,

A very interesting post. I am surprised you do not go for a
Meego/Mer/Harmattan build as this would have more synergy with existing
nokia platforms. Whatever distro you go for though as you say will cause
debate but I am sure we will all adapt.

I am interested in the multimedia aspects of the stack as it is a big part
of my project. I have been grappling with qtmultimedia on linux and have to
say it needs looking at. When you ask for a list of input devices you get a
long list that includes lots of surround sound configurations that have
nothing to do with input. This is probably an alsa thing but it makes it
very hard to give the user a useful list of devices to select. I had just
looked at the Qt 4.8 code last night and thought it should be possible to
write a pulseaudio backend fairly easily.

Pulseaudio (like it or not) is here to stay in the linux world and it would
be able to extract more useful info from the audio stack about available
inputs, etc. Phonon does not deal with input (unless this has changed in Qt
5) so does not cover all use cases.

So I am hoping for a really good audio stack for QtonPi to build my app
upon and that it also filters back into desktop linux as well.

Stuart Marsden