[QtonPi] QtonPi SW stack

Carsten Munk carsten.munk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:06:42 CET 2012

3. feb. 2012 11.56 skrev Stuart Marsden <stuartmarsden at gmail.com>:
> Rajiv,
>
> A very interesting post. I am surprised you do not go for a
> Meego/Mer/Harmattan build as this would have more synergy with existing
> nokia platforms. Whatever distro you go for though as you say will cause
> debate but I am sure we will all adapt.

We had a discussion about this at some point and I (as project
architect of Mer), I feel there's a definitive room for QtOnPi's
existence as it helps provide reference solutions and a central
collaboration point to typical problems of making a Qt enabled
distribution as it should ideally be. Such as Qt SDK enablement, a
common app runtime stack/story, etc. Qt project should be cross
platform - and QtOnPi helps this.

The benefits of this work, being hosted within the qt-project is
valuable for all of us. In the end, the software that runs on the
devices is typical Linux stack and it comes down to small details on
packaging and philosophies. QtOnPi having a close relationship to Qt
can help bring about performance benefits and innovation.

When getting down to these small distributions, It's in the end the
same code we all run, just with a few flags switched on or off
depending on distribution. This is especially seen as they're quite
easily rebasing from Fedora to openSUSE. If you like your own distro,
enable it with the deliverables this project gives :)

For sure I'm excitedly looking forward to some of the things in this
release plan.

BR
Carsten Munk
Mer project architect