[QtonPi] Fwd: Volunteer wanted for generating Qt 5 binaries for Raspbian

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 29 20:49:17 CEST 2012

> I think the cross compiling is the best solution for building the apps with
> Qt5 since this would take a terrible amount of time if done solo in the
> raspberry itself.

This is a bit off-topic as the thread topic is about building Qt5
itsels, but in general I disagree.

There are certain applications which are well suitable for native
builds. I have done such things on the pandaboard previously in a
commercial project since it did not take too much time for a not so
huge software project. On the contrary, I was able to avoid the
difficulty of cross-compilation. Please note that when you use debian
or ubuntu-arm like system, you already have the tools around to do the
native build.

I am not saying this is the defacto way, but I think there is no "best
solution". It depends on the given case.