[Qtwebengine] Encrypted Media Extensions support?

Becsi Andras Andras.Becsi at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 31 09:19:53 CET 2014

Hi Mike,

> On 30 Oct 2014, at 22:16 , Mike Nolan <me at mknln.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am wanting to know - are the Encrypted Media Extensions APIs supported?
>
> I notice that when I visit Netflix (after doing the trick to override the
> User Agent that you can find all over the Internet), I still see the
> "Whoops, something went wrong - Please update your browser" message. Yet
> at the same time I noticed some hints that it will be supported (e.g., the
> presence of the file
> ./third_party/WebKit/Source/platform/drm/ContentDecryptionModule.h) and
> know that it works already in Chrome.
>
> I also should note that I built the slightly-older 0.9 branch of
> qtwebengine because I am currently using Qt 5.3.
>
> Given the above, can I expect the EME extensions to be enabled eventually,
> or can they even be made to work now with some step I am missing?

It won’t be supported in the Qt 5.4 release, and as far as I know we do not have EME support on our roadmap at this point.
The integration and the Qt-side implementation is completely missing for this feature.
The reason you found the mentioned header is that we only strip our snapshot from major unused modules that are well isolated, and where the removal does not hurt maintainability.

/Andras