[Qtwebengine] "can't mmap icudtl.dat" in a Mac OS app

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:22:32 CET 2015

Building a Mac OS app that uses QtWebEngine.
When the program starts up it terminates with
 [0221/140053:ERROR:icu_util.cc(154)] Couldn't mmap icudtl.dat

The only place apparently the file can be found is the CWD. If I have a
copy of icudtl.dat in the current directory, wherever that may be, then the
above error does not appear!

When I put it in Contents/Resources, it is not found -- unless of course,
x.app/Contents/Resources is the CWD. Then it is found.

I have attempted to use a qt.conf file to locate the file, setting the
ArchData path and the Data path both to "Resources". The app prints out
QLibraryInfo values, thus I know that the qt.conf is being found and
applied: ArchData and Data paths are both being set to
x.app/Contents/Resources.

Where does WebEngineCore (I think) expect to find icudtl.dat, and how can I
persuade it to use the Resources folder?

Thanks,
Dave Cortesi