[Qtwebengine] Memory issues on imx6

Björn Bosell Bjorn.Bosell at qmatic.com
Fri Oct 23 08:13:18 CEST 2015

Hi,

We are seeing an memory issue when running qtwebengine 5.4 and 5.5 on a iMX6 board, built in yocto 1.8.

When we are displaying a page with several moving elements like scrolling text etc. We see a rapid decrease in free memory, up to 11MByte/hour. The memory appears to be unreclaimable kernel SLAB memory. The only way to release this memory is to stop the QT application and unload the driver.

At the same time we can see a large amount of entries in the galcore database (/sys/kernel/debug/gc/database) which we assume to correlate to the SLAB memory.

Now, the reason we believe this may be related to qtwebengine is because we also tried to run a normal chromium under wayland, where we didn't see this particular issue.

We also tried to build both QT5.5 and 5.6-alpha outside of yocto, and on 5.5 we still saw the problem, but in 5.6 it appears to be gone.

Has anyone eles seen this? Or know of a workaround for QT5.5?

This is the configuration we used,

Thanks,

Bjorn Bosell