[Qtwebengine] Chromium/ffmpeg compile failure with RPi2

Ville Voipio ville.voipio at iki.fi
Fri Oct 7 22:48:45 CEST 2016

Hello, all!

I have been trying to compile QTWebengine for Raspberry Pi 2. Some weeks ago I succeeded in compiling it for RPi3, but now I am stuck with some obscure compilation problems.

QTWebEngine make stalls when compiling the following source file:

  qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/third_party/ffmpeg/libavcodec/vp8.c

The error message is an interesting one:

{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:42: Error: bad instruction `ldrhcs r0,[r2],#2'
{standard input}:96: Error: bad instruction `ldrhcs r6,[ip],#2’

This looks as if the C compiler itself had emitted bad instruction codes which on the other hand does not seem very probable.  The instructions themselves do not look very suspicious (load register higher if carry set), but I am not very fluent in ARMv7 assembly.

The toolchain I am using is the Linaro toolchain invoked by:

  raspi2/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc

where raspi2 is my build directory. The compiler version string is:

  arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1-4.8-2014.01 - Linaro GCC 2013.11) 4.8.3 20140106 (prerelease)

This is an old compiler, but it seems to be the recommended one for compiling QT5 for RPi, fresh out of github.com/raspberrypi/tools.

Googling this problem gives some hints that I am not the only one to have this problem, but I have not seen any resolution. Any ideas? Should I just force the QTWebEngine use system ffmpeg and then somehow obtain one (Raspbian seems to have libav instead)?

TIA,

- Ville