[Qtwebengine] Fail to build on Ubuntu

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:34:25 CET 2022

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 at 22:45, Edward Chapman <ed.chapman121 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Can you open up the python file to see what it looks like?

The file is this one:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine-chromium.git/tree/chromium/third_party/catapult/common/py_vulcanize/py_vulcanize/generate.py?id=b33b4266df8c333d3d273ae4665d6b322eee33c6

The lines that causes trouble are:

    args = [
>         'python',
>         rjsmin_path
>     ]
>     p = subprocess.Popen(args,
>                          stdin=subprocess.PIPE,
>                          stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
>                          stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

The issue comes from the fact that I did install 'python2' and 'python3'
packages, but they do not provide a 'python' executable (only 'python2' and
'python3').
This is enough for the config script to run OK, but not for build to
succeed since py_vulcanize is looking for a hard coded 'python' executable.

My Debian build did not have the issue because it happens that 'python-dev'
was installed, which actually is 'python2-dev' and installs
'python-is-python2' package (which is just a symlink so that the python
command invokes python2).
So earlier when I solved my problem by installing python-dev on Ubuntu,
what really mattered was the install of 'python-is-python2'.