[Releasing] Duplication of packaging effort

jason.mcdonald at nokia.com jason.mcdonald at nokia.com
Mon Aug 13 08:26:27 CEST 2012

Now that we all know that Qt is moving to Digia, I believe that we should stop generating packages on the qt-project servers.

There are still significant differences between the two sets of packages and duplicating the testing effort now seems rather pointless.  Digia should be able to provide sufficient machinery to generate packages much quicker than the qt-project machines can and we've reached the point where keeping the packaging turnaround time low is important.

As long as everything needed to make opensource packages is in the qtrepotools repository so that contributors outside Digia can make packages locally to test their changes before submitting them, then it shouldn't matter where the official packages are generated.

--
Jason