[Releasing] Duplication of packaging effort

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 13 09:38:21 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 13 de agosto de 2012 06.26.27, jason.mcdonald at nokia.com
wrote:
> Now that we all know that Qt is moving to Digia, I believe that we should
> stop generating packages on the qt-project servers.

The Qt Project should continue to generate the Open Source packages, if
possible. It should be independent from any company.

If it has the computing power to do that, that is.

One of the reasons why this was necessary was because of legal reasons imposed
by Nokia. I don't think we know whether Digia will have similar concerns, but
my guess is that it's likely and we'll be exactly the same problems.

> There are still significant differences between the two sets of packages and
> duplicating the testing effort now seems rather pointless.  Digia should be
> able to provide sufficient machinery to generate packages much quicker than
> the qt-project machines can and we've reached the point where keeping the
> packaging turnaround time low is important.
>
> As long as everything needed to make opensource packages is in the
> qtrepotools repository so that contributors outside Digia can make packages
> locally to test their changes before submitting them, then it shouldn't
> matter where the official packages are generated.

True.