[Releasing] Duplication of packaging effort

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Mon Aug 13 12:34:49 CEST 2012

On 13/08/2012 02:38, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 13 de agosto de 2012 06.26.27,
> jason.mcdonald at nokia.com wrote:
>> Now that we all know that Qt is moving to Digia, I believe that we
>> should stop generating packages on the qt-project servers.
>
> The Qt Project should continue to generate the Open Source packages,
> if possible. It should be independent from any company.
>
> If it has the computing power to do that, that is.
>
> One of the reasons why this was necessary was because of legal
> reasons imposed by Nokia. I don't think we know whether Digia will
> have similar concerns, but my guess is that it's likely and we'll be
> exactly the same problems.

I would like to put it differently:
We are also trying to get a CI system up and running which transcends a
single organization, by moving the support for certain platforms in the
hands of those interested in maintaining those platforms. (QNX, BB10,
for example?)

Being able to produce packages for those platforms has the same
qualifications. We cannot add additional T1 platforms if we cannot
generate installation packages for those platforms.

So, we need this infrastructure in place anyways, and there's no need to
stop that right now. And it _is_ useful to have two setups right now, as
we more clearly see what needs to be done to bring the two together.

Once we have a closing on the Digia/Nokia deal we might quickly unify
the Digia and the "Open CI" system, such that the Digia builds are run
from the public CI system (I don't know for sure, but it's likely), as
that would prove that the implementation works.

--
.marius