[Releasing] No release branch yet

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Tue Dec 11 21:17:23 CET 2012

Hello,

here in Oslo is some confusion still about where to push changes now.

We identified 3 types of patches - targeting different releases:
5.0.0 = blocker, needs to be in the release
5.0.1 = bug fix, but not bad enough to potentially mess with the release
5.1.0 = everything else

Patches for 5.1.0 go to dev, no problem. But there is uncertainty whether
patches for 5.0.0 or 5.0.1 go to stable.
(and since there is no release branch yet, people are scared to push to
stable)

Imho we should create a release branch asap, so the release team can start
either cherry-picking into that or just pulling stable if they think that's
reasonable. Otherwise we block ourselves from creating 5.0.1 patches.

And pondering a bit more, maybe the release branches should be release-5.0 and
release-5.1 since we might end up having a security fix that should be
backported to 5.0 after 5.1 has been released.

Greetings,
Frederik

--
Best regards,