[Releasing] Report on static builds of current Qt 5 beta1

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 25 09:55:54 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 25 de julho de 2012 12.26.16, Keith Isdale wrote:
>    QTBUG-26636: Examples do not run for static build of Qt

I've experienced that too. The problem is that the QPA plugin is not built
into the executable, so the application can't load it. In order to make it
work, today you need to:

1) edit your .pro file to explicitly link the QPA plugin of your choice to your
link

2) add Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN to one of your .cpp files to actually import the plugin

Current shortcomings:
- unlike Qt 4, in Qt 5 the Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN macro takes the class name of the
plugin, not the plugin name. That means the class name becomes part of the
plugin interface. I'd like to change that, but it requires modifying the new
plugin structure.

 - some plugin names are too simple, so you can't use QTPLUGIN for them. For
example,
	QTPLUGIN += xcb
will add -lxcb to the link command-line, which will of course not work (the
XCB library itself is called libxcb, in /usr/lib). You need to add the full
path and file name to the plugin in LIBS.

Also, remember that Qt examples are *not* expected to work in static builds.
They are not part of the testing and do not block the release. We should just
understand the issues above to decide if we need to make changes before we
release.