[Releasing] Report on static builds of current Qt 5 beta1

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Wed Jul 25 10:37:14 CEST 2012

On 7/25/12 9:55 AM, "ext Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:

>On quarta-feira, 25 de julho de 2012 12.26.16, Keith Isdale wrote:
>>    QTBUG-26636: Examples do not run for static build of Qt
>
>I've experienced that too. The problem is that the QPA plugin is not
>built
>into the executable, so the application can't load it. In order to make
>it
>work, today you need to:
>
>1) edit your .pro file to explicitly link the QPA plugin of your choice
>to your
>link
>
>2) add Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN to one of your .cpp files to actually import the
>plugin
>
>Current shortcomings:
>- unlike Qt 4, in Qt 5 the Q_IMPORT_PLUGIN macro takes the class name of
>the
>plugin, not the plugin name. That means the class name becomes part of
>the
>plugin interface. I'd like to change that, but it requires modifying the
>new
>plugin structure.

Doable, but this would require another argument to Q_PLUGIN_METADATA.

> - some plugin names are too simple, so you can't use QTPLUGIN for them.
>For
>example,
>	QTPLUGIN += xcb
>will add -lxcb to the link command-line, which will of course not work
>(the
>XCB library itself is called libxcb, in /usr/lib). You need to add the
>full
>path and file name to the plugin in LIBS.

I agree, it would be good if these names don't conflict.

>Also, remember that Qt examples are *not* expected to work in static
>builds.
>They are not part of the testing and do not block the release. We should
>just
>understand the issues above to decide if we need to make changes before
>we
>release.

I don't see this as a blocker for the beta. But we'll need to get static
builds sorted in the longer term. At least some commercial customers
depend on it, and a possible iOS port would also require it.

Cheers,
Lars