[Releasing] Qt 5 Alpha release notes - First draft

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Thu Mar 15 00:35:24 CET 2012

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-Alpha

The core story is in place. Please comment and also feel free editing
the wiki directly for improvements.

We still need images. They will provide implicitly the first impression
many will have about Qt 5. Any suggestions? I'll see if I can get
something from, Girish & Qt MediaHub...

What is missing is more information about What is new. This needs to
come from the maintainers, Lars or someone with the knowledge. What we
have so far is http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5Features

Also, what are the areas needing more attention and feedback? Anything
we want to prioritize in the release notes?

I'm putting a lot of time figuring out something that I bet someone else
knows very well: exactly what modules go to Essentials and Add-ons, with
exactly what names and pointing to exactly what links for docs or
project home.

There is the list that Marius sent, the lists in the wiki and the
content of the tarball released today. I'm taking the latter as
reference but can you point me to who can help ironing these details in
the wiki page?

Also forgive me if these questions are doof:

- Is "Qt Platform Abstraction" a module or what? I couldn't find
anything related in the tarball.

- Are we releasing any binaries on Tuesday Y/N?

- Is http://doc.qt.nokia.com/5.0-snapshot/index.html something we want
to link directly from the release notes? It looks outdated (e.g. "What's
new in Qt 4.7"

- A link to instructions on how to build the Qt libraries?

--
Quim