[Releasing] Qt 5 Alpha release notes - First draft

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Thu Mar 15 08:58:59 CET 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil at nokia.com> wrote:
> - Is "Qt Platform Abstraction" a module or what? I couldn't find
> anything related in the tarball.

QPA (for short) is a reworking of some of the internals of Qt to make
it easier to port Qt to new platforms, by writing a plugin that deals
with all* the nasty platform-specific parts.

For instance, there are QPA plugins for QNX (blackberry), Windows, Mac.. etc.

*: well, almost all. not quite everything, yet ;)

> - A link to instructions on how to build the Qt libraries?

It depends a little whether you want instructions on building from
Git, in which case, we have those:
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt5/blobs/master/README - but those
instructions don't (yet?) work as-is with the alpha tarball that has
been floating around.

HTH,

Robin