[Releasing] Qt 5 alpha 20120314: linux g++ x86_64 C++

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Mar 18 01:45:41 CET 2012

On sábado, 17 de março de 2012 11.52.51, Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
> Builds and install (shadow build). Bad things happen when compiling
> many modules when build_dir != install_prefix. In fact, bad things
> happen when you use the top level configure. The whole thing at this
> point is very non-deterministic to me. If I just do make randomly in
> random dirs, it will eventually all compile. I am going to assume this
> is due to my lack of understanding of a how a top level
> configure/compile is supposed to work.

It's not. See the discussion when I reported this on Thursday: the top-level
configure does not work. It should be removed for the alpha, along with the
.pro file, and replaced with a README that contains the proper build order.

> Tested with xcb.
>
> 1. designer not compiled or installed. does this even exist these days?

I didn't get that far because Linguist failed to compile due to missing
declarative headers. But Designer must work.

> 2. qtwebkit is empty.

Yup. Pending a change to enable ICU detection.

> 3. linguist crashes on startup with ./linguist: symbol lookup error:
> /home/girish/tmp/install/plugins/platforms/libxcb.so: undefined
> symbol: XRenderFindVisualFormat

Missing a library being linked. Caused by having plugins link without -Wl,--
no-undefined, a mistake I'd like to fix, but one which runs into the whole
QtPlatformSupport static-library-but-not-really mess.

> 5. qt3d does not compile. It's looking for qtdeclarative headers (even
> though they are installed)
> /home/girish/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0/qt3d/src/quick3d/qdeclar
> ativemesh.h:49:40: fatal error: QtDeclarative/qdeclarative.h: No such file
> or directory
Headers with "QtDeclarative/" in the name? They are apparently generated, but
not installed. Hence, nothing that uses QtDeclarative (QtQuick2) works.

> 6. Just iconv detection problem for which I have provided the
> patch but it's not important for the alpha since Qt has it's own locale
> mapper detection code anyway
> (http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,20377).

Which hasn't been used on Linux desktops for years. It should really be iconv.

> 7. qtquick1 doesn't compile -
> /home/girish/tmp/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-5.0.0/qtquick1/src/imports/sha
> ders/shadereffectitem.cpp:836:22: error: ‘QString& QString::operator=(const
> char*)’ is deprecated
> (declared at /home/girish/tmp/install/include/QtCore/qstring.h:513)
> [-Werror=deprecated-declarations

It did for me. -Werror isn't enabled anywhere for me.

And it shouldn't be unless you used -developer-build.

> I am unable to decide if this is a pass or a fail :)

Huh? You can't decide? :-)