[Releasing] ICU linking problems in latest installer packages.

Zeno Albisser zeno at webkit.org
Fri Nov 9 16:42:48 CET 2012

Hi,

I would like to raise your attention about an issue with the current
installer packages.
It seems to me, that we face a linking problem due to providing ICU within
Qt.

Trying to build qtwebkit, I get unresolved symbols for u_tolower_48 and
other icu related functions, when linking JSC.

I encountered the issue on Ubuntu 12.04 after installing the current
installer package including the sources, and then trying to build qtwebkit
by simply using "qmake && make".

Now after taking a quick look, it seems that my system provides ICU with
suffix _48.
While the ICU version that we ship within Qt is _49.

Since we do not ship the unicode headers in Qt, any project requiring ICU
headers will fall back to using the headers provided by the system. But due
to qmake it will link to ICU-version that comes with Qt. I assume that
therefore linking would fail for any project that internally uses ICU as
well.

Does anyone have a good idea how to resolve this issue?
Should we just ship the ICU headers as well?

- Zeno