[Releasing] [Development] Preparing to release repackaged version of Qt 4.8.3 with Digia copyrights

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Thu Oct 4 13:53:48 CEST 2012

On 4.10.2012 14.20, "Stephen Kelly" <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> wrote:

>> > Isn't that what happened also when Nokia bought Qt? 4.4.3 was
>>technically
>> > "rebranding" release. I think that is what should happen now as well.
>>
>> The difference now is that we can not tag this release due to the way
>>4.8
>> branch is set up. As all development is in a single branch there is no
>>easy
>> way to have the copyrights in without the other (untested) changes.
>
>As Thiago pointed out, this appears to be untrue.

Naturally everything can be done, it is just a matter how much work it
takes. It is easy to talk if it not you who is doing it...

It has already been decided to start using branches, so later on things
like this will get simpler. But now we need to work based on the situation
we have.

>> And due to the hurry with making Qt 5.0 it is not possible now to make
>>4.8.4
>> with the changes there currently are + the copyrights and then tag it.
>
>This doesn't make any sense. What does the next Qt 4 release have to do
>with
>whether the resources are busy with Qt 5? That's your problem to deal
>with.
>You don't need to make a mess of the repo to deal with it, and I don't
>see the
>big deal.

Well. It is the same Digia engineers working with both so the less hassle
we have due to the copyright change, the more we can progress with Qt 5.

However, I do not see why this would cause any mess in the repo?
Copyrights are being updated in the repos already and reflected in the
next releases. But since many Qt users use the binary installers we also
need to update those.

>> We should also note that distributing the release packages with Nokia
>> copyrights is incorrect, but for practical reasons we have agreed to do
>>so
>> for a while. It would be inconvinient if there would be no packages to
>> download.
>
>Are you saying that the alternative in your mind is to remove the option
>of
>downloading anything from http://qt-project.org/downloads ?

Technically that is something that should be done since every package is
equipped with incorrect copyrights. We are ready to take on bulk of the
work related to the copyright changes and we have done such task before,
so not problem there.

It is a time consuming task and also bad if there are no packages
available for distribution. For this reason it has been agreed with legal
that we do as fast as possible the latest package with correct copyrights.
And that all new releases are done with correct copyrights. Then we can do
the change to older versions gradually.

>Releasing 4.8.3 again makes no sense. If there are changes, release 4.8.4.

As said, it is completely fine for us to release the 4.8.3 with just the
new copyrights, but since many users would benefit of the MinGW fix, we
propose to include it as well.

Because there is no significant difference in functionality to 4.8.3 we
proposed to call it 4.8.3-1. I truly do not see how it can hurt anyone to
do so.

Yours,

		Tuukka