[Releasing] State of Qt 5.0.0 wk 41

Tanilkan Sinan Sinan.Tanilkan at digia.com
Tue Oct 9 15:51:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

_State of Qt 5.0.0 beta 2_
Here is an overview of the top issues that we are following for Qt 5. If you know about issues that needs to be handled for Qt 5.0.0, that is not covered here. Please let us know.

*Documentation*
Documentation is worked on in a new branch called newdocs. This is done in order not to disrupt the upcoming beta-2-release. If we can keep up with our current plan, we hope to involve the community in the documentation efforts later this week or early next week.

*Qt Creator*
On Linux and Windows, there are no severe regressions in Qt Creator running on Qt 5, compared to when it runs on Qt 4. On Mac there are some larger issues with layouting/styling, and crashes in event handling left to be fixed.

Qt bugs that needs to be fixed for Qt Creator to work on Qt 5, can be found on: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+Creator_Qt5

*Installer scripts*
- qtsdk.git base structure ready, add-ons added, all subrepositories are in qtsdk.git except Installer-Framework
- 'release-tools' i.e. the scripts & configurations now part of the qtsdk.git itself
- initial testing that src package creation works based on qtsdk.git looks ok
- taking Digia mirror fully into use to avoid connection problems, we have experienced connection problems thus unable to run builds successfully
- added Qt Creator to installer (still using Qt Creator built with Qt 4.8)

This week we hope to resolve the following issues:
- moving from qt5.git to qtsdk.git requires some updates to the build scripts (mksrc.sh and mkqt5bld.py scripts)
- finish splitting Qt 5 sources and binaries into two separate modules in installer: Essentials and Add-ons
- get Qt Creator compiled with Qt 5 in the installer scripts

*Bug situation*
Total number of unresolved bugs affecting Qt 5: 699 (prev. report: 811)
Link to filter: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13521

Blockers (P0): 0, prev. report: 2
Criticals (P1): 64 (9%), prev. report: 50
Important (P2): 265 (37%), last report: 230

Number of unevaluated bugs affecting Qt 5: 20 (2%) (prev. report: 226)
Link to dashboard: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=11712

(The filters now excludes bugs for some of the non-essential modules whose inclusion in the final release is not clear yet (Location, PIM, Sensors, Systems). This (in addition to furious bug-fixing spree) is why there's such a big improvement in the bug statistics.)

We had a bug evaluation day in the Digia Oslo office today, and as a result the entire backlog of unevaluated bugs has been next to eradicated (only 20 left). Great work, thanks a lot!

When working on a bug, please also remember to set the 'Fix version' field correctly. This helps in
planning what fixes will/need to go into a release.

_Ensuring that everything is handled_
All issues that are critical for the release should be marked as required for one of these issues:
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27319 - Qt 5.0 Beta 2 tasks
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27426 - Qt 5.0 Final release tasks

If here is a need for discussion on the issues, this can be done on releasing at qt-project.org or irc (#qt-releases on Freenode).

Best regards,