[Releasing] State of Qt 5.0.0 wk 42

Tanilkan Sinan Sinan.Tanilkan at digia.com
Tue Oct 16 16:57:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

_State of Qt 5.0.0 beta 2_
Here is an overview of the top issues that we are following for Qt 5. If you know about issues that needs to be handled for Qt 5.0.0, that is not covered here. Please let us know.

*Installer-Scripts & configurations*
Done:
- Qt5 binary components split into Essentials and Add-ons in installer GUI.
- Qt5 source components split into modules in installer GUI. Essentials in one source chunk and Add-ons splitted into submodule level.
- Qt5 builds (Linux) link to ICU that is shipped with the installer to avoid portability issues.
Todo:
- Source package creation script fails to create Qt5 source packages. Investigation ongoing.
- QtCreator build script needs more work.

*Release build servers*
Done:
- ICU development libraries removed from Linux build machines that caused the Qt5 builds link against system ICU.
Todo:
- Integrate QtCreator build script into CI-system so that QtCreator builds are being performed on nightly basis.

*Library renaming*
Done:
 - renaming QtQuick1 back to its Qt 4 names
 - changing install paths for plugins, QML 1 and 2 plugins, translations
Partially done:
 - inserting a "5" in each library's name
To bo:
 - renaming the tools

*Qt Creator*
Creator is looking pretty good on Linux and Windows. The issues reported last week on mac are still there, but progress is good. The library renaming changes are causing a need for some changes to profiles, but all over it is looking promising.

Qt bugs that needs to be fixed for Qt Creator to work on Qt 5, can be found on: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels+%3D+Creator_Qt5

*WebKit split*
We're taking a shortcut by landing the third-party developer visible changes (QT += webkit becomes QT += webkitwidgets) while continuing on the real library split under the hood (which we have to complete by the final 5.0 at the latest). The shortcut patch was landed and work in on-going in getting all changes through the CI system (in various Qt modules that need adaptation).

*Painter changes*
Described in the email discussions on development at qt-project.org, started on October 11, 2012, "Behavior change: A sane and consistent QPainter coordinate system in Qt 5" and "Proposal: Make QPen non-cosmetic by default".

For the QPen discussion, there is still uncertainty how and if this change should be done (discussions are ongoing).

The QPainter change is mostly done and is now waiting for final review, and awaiting feedback.

*Style changes*
We wish to reduce the amount of old styles in Qt. The changes are ready, and waiting for a decision.

*Angle*
Angle is starting to look almost better than expected. It works with the Visual Studio compilers and on 64-bit MinGW. The work is expected to take a few more iterations, but we are hoping to see it done during this week.

*CI-upgrade*
The Qt CI-system is being moved from the Nokia infrastructure to Digia infrastructure during week 42 and 43. This is not a blocker for the beta, but it could cause a delay. We suggest that this risk should be accepted, based on previous experiences with these changes, and the amount of preparations done.

*Documentation*
It is currently possible to build the modularized documentation from the newdocs branches in the modules, but it is not expected to be ready for a beta 2 release.

Please ensure that work on documentation that is not critical for the beta, is done in the newdocs branches.

(In order to build the modularized documentation, you must run 'make docs' twice. Be aware that there are still lots of unresolved links.)

 *Bug situation*
Total number of unresolved bugs affecting Qt 5: 686 (prev. report: 699)
Link to filter: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13521

Blockers (P0): 2 (both related to Qt 5 Beta 2 binary installer)
Criticals (P1): 55 (8%), prev. report: 64
Important (P2): 266 (38%), prev. 265
Not evaluated yet: 15 (%2), prev. 20

Good progress has been made on several areas. For the beta 2 release, the remaining bugs are related to getting Qt Creator built & running on Qt 5, packaging/installers, and a couple of bugs specific to Mac OS X. Bugs (and other tasks) for Beta 2 can be followed on QTBUG-27319 (link below).

When working on a bug, please also remember to set the 'Fix version' field correctly. This helps in planning what fixes will/need to go into a release.

_Ensuring that everything is handled_
All issues that are critical for the release should be marked as required for one of these issues:
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27319 - Qt 5.0 Beta 2 tasks
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27426 - Qt 5.0 Final release tasks

If here is a need for discussion on the issues, this can be done on releasing at qt-project.org or irc (#qt-releases on Freenode).

Best regards,