[Releasing] Tarball distribution issue for the important releases

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sat Sep 1 09:29:43 CEST 2012

> Don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that your are more pissed off
> with the process being used than because of the actual file missing.

I have been personally suggesting to change (improve in my opinion) both in
the future.

> I don't think that comments like
>
> - I am lazy
> - I love .bz2
> - I don't like .gz
> - .xz is too new
> - I don't know how to use the new .xz

Please do not get me wrong, but I am trying to provide an analogy for your
claim to see how similarly this could be said and written vice versa:

I do not think that comments like

- I am lazy
- I love .xz
- I do not like .gz
- .bz2 is too old
- .bz2 is (insignificantly) smaller for source tarballs

> would make people to give a +2 though

would make people to give a +2 though

In my opinion, there would be people to prefer both (or even approve if
they have rights for that). You can provide a hash value or a gitorious
link to the tarball downloading as well, and the people could still do
their job. You do not need to upload tarballs separately and people would
not still most likely be blocked.

The situation could still be work arounded in those cases, so I think the
reasoning was not about that.

Laszlo