[Releasing] Qt5 SDK component install tree

Äijälä Johanna Johanna.Aijala at digia.com
Fri Sep 21 14:26:26 CEST 2012

Hi all,

With the Qt5 SDK we are in the phase where we need to decide how the component install tree should look like both in the installer gui, where user selects the components he wants to install by checking the checkboxes and then the install path on users computer. There are many things to take into consideration: Desktop/Embedded/Src/Tools/Documentation/etc, upcoming Qt5 versions 5.0.0/5.0.1/etc, compilers, submodules, etc. The install tree structure affects to the SKD templates and install scripts, and it's a lot of work to refactor them once they are done, so it would be nice to have the final (or as close to it as possible) install tree structure decided before we start doing the templates.

There are couple of proposals, any comments on these?

1.       Install tree in installer gui, where components are selected to be installed:
<src>
    <qt>
        <version>
            <essentials>
                <>
                <>
            <add-ons>
                <>
                <>
<desktop binaries>
    <qt>
        <version>
            // <compiler>  ??
            <essentials>
                <>
                <>
            <add-ons>
                <>
                <>
<tools>
    <creator>
<documentation>
    <qt>
    <creator>

The beta1 installer had only the following:
<qt version>
    <src>
<desktop>
    <compiler>

2.       And the other thing is the installation path on users computer, beta1 installer has a long install paths, for example on windows: c:\Qt5.0.0beta1\Desktop\Qt\5.0.0-beta1\msvc2010_64 [examples\qtbase\....]. That could be changed to for example:

c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0-Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0-Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0-MinGW
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1-Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1-Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1-MinGW
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2-Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2-Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2-MinGW

or:
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0\Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0\Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.0\MinGW
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1\Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1\Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.1\MinGW
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2\Msvc64
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2\Msvc32
c:\Qt5SDK\Desktop\5.0.2\MinGW

And then there is Qt5SDK\Documentation, Qt5SDK\Tools, Qt5SDK\Src and what else..?

Br,
Johanna

PS. Iikka, please add if I missed something :)