[Releasing] State of Qt 5.0.0 wk 39

Tanilkan Sinan Sinan.Tanilkan at digia.com
Tue Sep 25 12:25:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

_State of Qt 5.0.0 beta 2_
Here is an overview of the top issues that the releasing team is following:

*Documentation*
Changes are being made to adapt documentation to modularized Qt.

*Qt Creator*
Current idea is to package Qt Creator 2.6 branch, compiled with Qt 5.

*Installer scripts*
We are currently working on:
- modularizing documents into separate packages in the installer
- deciding the final Qt 5 installer structure i.e. the "install-tree"
    - adding creator
    - modularized structure
    - evaluating what impact is has on packaging configurations and templates
Todo:
- make packages based on sdk.git

*Bug situation*
Total number of unresolved bugs affecting Qt 5: 816
(down from ~850 last week):
Link to filter: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13521

Blockers (P0): 3 (< 1%)
Criticals (P1): 35 (6%)
Important (P2): 201 (36%)

Total number of unevaluated (open) bugs affecting Qt 5: 306
(down from ~480 last week):
Link to dashboard: https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=11712

The list of items that must be fixed before releasing Qt 5 beta 2 will be found on https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27319.

Last week, in addition to bug fixing, effort was put into evaluating & triaging bugs, as close to 60% of unresolved bugs didn't have any priority set. Good progress was seen, bringing the number of 'Not Evaluated' bugs down to 38% of all open bugs - but we aim to bring this further down (and keep it there).

_Moving towards releasing Qt 5.0.0_
So far the following has volunteered to be part of the releasing team for Qt 5.0.0:
- Lars Knoll - Qt's Chief Maintainer
- Thiago Macieira - Qt Maintainer and previously release manager
- Stephen Kelly - Qt Maintainer
- Kai Koehne, Tim Jenssen and/or Maurice Kalinowski - Qt Creator
- Topi Reinio - Error Manager
- Iikka Eklund, Akseli‎ Salovaara,  Johanna Äijälä and Sergio Ahumada - Technical releasing, build and packaging
- Katherine Barrios - Marketing and communication
- Sinan Tanilkan - Release Manager

If you are willing to volunteer for the releasing team, please get in touch (on releasing at qt-project.org) and let us know in what area you will help.

_Meetings and Go/no-go decisions_
The releasing team will meet weekly on IRC (qt-releases on Freenode). Closer to the release, it is likely that we will meet once a day.

Before the release can happen, the releasing team will participate in a go/no-go meeting, to agree on the release.

_Weekly status update_
We plan to send a weekly status update to releasing at qt-project.org.

_Keeping a status overview_
*Blockers*
If you have a task/bugs that must be done for Qt 5.0.0 beta 2, please make sure it is linked to (required for) https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-27319.

*Other issues/backlog*
We hope to give an update on other issues that are important for the release. One such ongoing issue is making the installer scripts for the full Qt 5 SDK.

The backlog of all issues that people has accepted (open or in progress) to be fixed for Qt 5.0.0 can be found on https://bugreports.qt-project.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13538. Please help us by making sure your tasks are on this list (and that the ones you don't plan on doing are not). This is done by setting "Fix version = 5.0.0 [beta 2/RC 1/(Next Major Release)]", and ensuring that it is open or in progress.

We hope a weekly update on these areas will give you the insight you need on the releasing activities.

Please feel free to give us your feedback.

Best regards,
Sinan S. Tanilkan
on behalf of the Qt 5 releasing team