[Releasing] archive file naming with -rc version suffix

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Wed Jan 30 10:43:12 CET 2013

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2013 09.18.21, Mark Brand wrote:
>> Noticed that there is a slight problem with package file naming for rc-1.
>> The suffix "-rc1" is missing from the version in the filename:
>>
>> http://releases.qt-project.org/qt5/5.0.1-rc1/submodules_tar/qtbase-opensourc
>> e-src-5.0.1.tar.xz
>>
>> Also, these should unpack into a directory with matching name, i.e.:
>> qtbase-opensource-src-5.0.1-rc1.
> That was intentional. The patch-level RCs are the actual release: when we are
> satisfied with a package set, we will release *that* set, no rebuilding. We are giving the "rc" name just for testers' benefit.

I understand the argument. However, it cannot be said ahead of time that
any RC will be the final release. If it isn't, then there will be failed
RC archives around with the same name as the final release, which is
likely to cause confusion. The name collision makes it impossible to
keep the RCs and final release in the same directory. Finally, it's
inconvenient for scripted build, packaging, and testing, say, for distros.

>> Compare to the 5.0.0-rc1, which is correct:
>>
>> http://releases.qt-project.org/qt5/5.0.0-rc1/submodules_tar/qtbase-opensource-src-5.0.0-rc1.tar.xz
> That's a separate procedure. It requires rebuilding everything to remove the  "-rcX" from the name. It's acceptable for the longer process for the minor release, but not for the patch-level.

It might be too late to fix (from my perspective) the RC naming
convention for 5.0.1, but I hope it will be seriously considered when it
next becomes possible.

Mark