[Releasing] [Development] Starting preparations for Qt 5.1

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Mon Mar 18 20:31:03 CET 2013

On 3/18/13 6:36 PM, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On segunda-feira, 18 de março de 2013 15.18.07, Knoll Lars wrote:
>> We have said that we'll move to time based releases. Should we stop this
>> because we aren't yet good enough in controlling our systems? I don't
>> think so. It might feel unfair to some people, but we've had these
>> discussions about some features missing the deadline every single minor
>> release.
>>
>> Now if there are one or two features that are vital to make Qt 5.1
>> possible, we can discuss exceptions for those. But then we need to make
>> sure they go in in the next two days. Which features would these be?
>
>I know of only the QUrlPathInfo and the timezone features, plus minor API
>changes, for QtCore. The former is something that had been lost in my
>large
>dashboard until last week, and John's changes were too big to review
>while I
>was at a conference.

Yes. I doubt we'll get timezone done in time though, unless you're happy
with the API as it is now.

The file selectors would be very helpful for declarative. Getting it in is
important, because I'd like to set the standard before everybody does his
own. I think BlackBerry might also need it to move over to Qt 5 at some
point

>> >in fact, thiago and me already decided that we'll create an old/5.0
>> >branch from stable right before we merge dev.
>>
>> Not that I'm principally opposed to this, but please remember proper
>> process: These should at least get discussed on this ML, not just get
>> decided by two people and then announced.
>
>I thought it was discussed on the mailing list.

Ok, I might have missed it. The way Ossi put it, it sounded like an IRC
discussion.

Cheers,
Lars