[Releasing] [Development] HEADS UP: merge stable into release and dev into stable

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Tue Feb 18 08:37:02 CET 2014

I personally would be happy with
- Freeze on Friday (night). Changes that are not approved by now don't make it, but approved changes can be staged during the weekend.
- Branching on Monday morning (CET). Changes that didn't make it through CI by now don't make it.
- Some changes might be retargeted to new target branch then, after consent from the resp. maintainer.

I'm not sure it's worth it to have any technical enforcement for these restrictions though. The important thing isn't whether some change 'broke the rules' and was approved/integrated on Sunday (though the approver should expect some backslash e.g. when it broke the integration). The important thing is that we really branch on Monday, and head on to an alpha. The current situation where everybody has to hold of its patches for an unknown time, until the merge happened, is unfortunate.

Regards

Kai