[Releasing] rethinking the branching scheme / sha1 proposal

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Feb 19 16:59:24 CET 2014

Em qua 19 fev 2014, às 16:44:09, Frederik Gladhorn escreveu:
> > We're also unable to make further releases due to lack of manpower: right
> > now, the release team is skeptical whether it is able to make 5.2.2.
> > Changing the branching scheme does not buy us more manpower.
>
> Here I would like to be optimistic and hope that we get to a state where
> releases only take a short time in packaging, then get some nice release
> test  automation thrown at them and only then a manual checkup that they
> are OK.

Releasing version N before version N+1's beta is not a problem. The release
branch is still there.

Releasing after the beta might be a problem since we may have overwritten the
branches. But the SHA-1 of the commits still exist and there are the old/5.x
branches. If we really wanted to, we could make releases.

Branches are not stopping us from doing that. Manpower is.