[Releasing] ODP: rethinking the branching scheme

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Feb 24 16:18:05 CET 2014

Em seg 24 fev 2014, às 08:07:13, Ziller Eike escreveu:
> On Feb 21, 2014, at 10:30 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:
> > Em sex 21 fev 2014, às 16:25:17, Oswald Buddenhagen escreveu:
> >> on top of that, your idea to automatically "force" the latest stable on
> >> the "consumers" has a downside: it makes it actively hard to use the
> >> "oldest version that works" approach (which is a quite reasonable one to
> >> prevent accidentally requiring too new api).
> >
> > Stable contains "oldest version that works" by definition. Stuff shouldn't
> > land in that branch unless it works.
> >
> > That means stuff shouldn't land in dev unless it works.
>
> Reality shows that this is not a realistic view.
>
> > It varies only on how stable it is. But that is true for any branch
> > anyway,
> > except dev.
>
> The dev -> stable merge degrades the quality of what is in the stable branch
> drastically. So if you track stable, the quality of what you track can vary
> greatly. I suppose that is what Ossi means. With the current branching
> scheme you cannot track something that only gets “more stable”.

But that removes the branch that is "stable enough". In the past year and a
half, I've tracked dev for less than 2 months in total. Everything else I do
is on top of stable, even if it gets submitted to dev.

Now, I can easily change branches, but it's a task I currently don't have. My
point is that there probably are other people out there who benefit from having
this branch too.